Medical House Physician Job
Date: Dec 5, 2014
Location: LAKEWOOD, OH, US
Description:Medical House Physician
HR Use Only:
Hospital: Lakewood Hospital
Facility: LAKEWOOD HOSPITAL
Department: MEDICAL STAFF SERVICES
Job Code: X0003L
Pay Grade: 23
1. Satisfactorily completed three (3) years of graduate medical education in an accredited residency program in internal medicine and experience in the critically ill patients and to the administration of critical care units is desirable. Current physicians who do not meet these qualifications shall be evaluated based upon experience.
2. Possesses current license to practice medicine in the State of Ohio
3. Possesses current Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification.
4. Maintains registration with the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).
5. Maintains membership on the Lakewood Hospital Medical Staff by continuously meeting qualifications, standards, and requirements set forth in the bylaws of the medical staff.
I. Permanent Duties
1. Provide 24-hour/7 day a week in hospital coverage for the medical patients. Remain on Hospital premises at all times while on duty. Assist the attending physician in the care of the medically ill and acutely ill medical patients. The primary responsibility will be to provide emergent and ongoing care of the hospitals medical patients. This includes all nursing units, including Rehab, SNF, Psychiatry, and Grace LTAC Unit.
2. Examine all medical patients admitted and write an admission note and initial orders in consultation with the attending physician. Perform History and Physical on all patients when requested by the attending physician including patients admitted through the emergency room, direct admissions and transfers from other institutions.
3. Participate in performance improvement, risk management, and resource utilization programs.
4. In the absence of the attending physician, initiate the diagnosis and treatment to manage urgent situations and notify the attending physician within a time period considered reasonable and consistent with the severity of the situation.
5. Interpret stat EKG’s.
6. Insert NG tubes, foleys, other drainage or access devices, and peripheral IV lines when the RN or lab technician is unable to perform this task.
7. Will give IV medications as prescribed and defined by the directives of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee.
8. Evaluate patients after falls, incident reports and medication errors. In case of death, pronounce the death and notify the attending physician, report to the coroner and complete the appropriate documentation and paperwork.
9. Document all clinical observations, diagnostic and therapeutic measures, and appropriate orders and progress notes.
10. Manage emergency medical problems in the specialty units, eye center, biometrics, occupational therapy, physical therapy, radiology, pulmonary lab and ambulatory surgery when the attending physician is unavailable.
11. Respond to Medical Emergency codes and conduct resuscitation according to the ACLS protocols.
12. Perform invasive procedures in all areas on medical patients in emergency situations or as requested by the attending physician.
? Placement and subsequent management of intravascular and arterial catheters and monitoring devices:
? percutaneous venous / arterial catheters
? central venous catheters
? pulmonary artery
? Placement of temporary trans venous pacing wires
? Emergency pericardiocentesis
? Abdominal paracentesis
? Needle chest decompression
? Spinal tap
14. Prescribe medication orders or renewals when needed, (i.e. IV fluids renewal, pain medication, laxative, sleeping pills, however, NOT responsible for other daily routine care follow up of in house patients, (which is the responsibility of the attending physician unless the attending physician is unavailable.
15 Work collaboratively with the surgical house physician
Category: Allied Health
Nearest Major Market: Cleveland
Job Segment: Medical, Rehabilitation, Cardiac, Pharmacy, Radiology, Healthcare